Damanhur is located in Valchiusella ("the valley of the Chiusella River"), near the towns of Vidracco and Baldissero Canavese in the Piedmont region of northwest Italy. It is 40 km (25 miles) northeast of Turin and 15 km (10 miles) from Ivrea.
Damanhur is approximately 45 minutes by car from Turin Airport (TRN) and 1.5 hours from Milan Malpensa Airport (MXP).
We recommend having a vehicle to access Damanhur’s various territories, which span more than 10km (about 6 miles) throughout the Valchiusella Valley. Be sure to rent a car with a GPS and set it to the Welcome Office at Via Pramarzo 3, Baldissero Canavese, 10080. Parking is available at Damjl and Damanhur Crea.
From Milan Malpensa Airport
From Turin Airport
Taxi fare to Damanhur is about 180 euros from Milan Malpensa Airport and 65 euro from Turin Airport.
From Turin Airport, take a shuttle bus or taxi to Turin Central Train Station, then catch a train to Ivrea. From Ivrea, take a bus or a taxi to Baldissero Canavese. Taxi fare from Ivrea to Damanhur is about 30 euro.
From Milan Malpensa Airport, take a shuttle bus to Milan Central Train Station, then catch a train to Ivrea. From Ivrea, take a bus or a taxi to Baldissero Canavese. Taxi fare from Ivrea to Damanhur is about 30 euro.
Damanhur Welcome and University - Via Pramarzo 3 10080 Baldissero Canavese (TO) - Tel: +39 0124 512236
Click here for a map and detailed directions.
NOTE: The bus service from Ivrea does not operate on a consistent schedule, and there are only three trips per day. It may take several hours to arrive to Damanhur. View bus schedule using Google Maps, set your departure and destination points then click on the public transportation icon (instead of the car icon). Enter your time of departure to see exactly when the bus will arrive.
If you are traveling with a group, we can help you arrange transportation from the airport to Damanhur or from Ivrea to Damanhur. Fees vary based on distance and the number in your group. To arrange a driver, fill out the contact form, selecting "Visit Damanhur" as the topic.
Upon Your Arrival
Your first stop upon arrival should be the Welcome Office, located at Via Pramarzo, 3, 10080 Baldissero Canavese (TO), Italy. The Welcome office is situated in Damjl, the central area of Damanhur. A friendly, multicultural staff awaits you, ready to provide assistance in organizing the details of your itinerary. Please be aware that reservations are required for your visit, and that you must check in between 9 AM to 1 PM and 3 to 6 PM. If your travel itinerary prohibits you from arriving during these hours, please coordinate your arrival time with the Welcome Office to ensure that someone is there to greet you.
All guests who are visiting Damanhur for the first time receive a 10-minute tour of Damjl in order to acclimate you to your surroundings. This tour is typically given directly after you check in, depending on your time of arrival. While every effort will be made to accommodate your Damjl tour, the length of the check-in process varies. Please plan for at least 30 minutes between check-in and getting accommodated in your room.
Explore the Central Territories:
- Damjl (or, “capital city”) is Damanhur’s main hub of energy and activity, where residents and guests meet and commingle. In the same building as the Welcome Office, you will find Somachandra Café, the office of Damanhur University and the studio for Pranoself, where you can book a private session. Damjl also consists of about 3 hectares (about 300 acres) of beautiful grounds with stone labyrinths, menhirs (standing stones), outdoor temples and buildings with colorful murals hand-painted by the residents. Everywhere you turn, you will catch glimpses of sculptures and clay art, fruit trees and flowering shrubs, fountains and other sensory delights. (Out of respect for the space and all the beings that live there, we politely ask that you refrain from picking any fruit or flowers.) After your initial tour by the Welcome Office, feel free to return to the grounds to leisurely walk the labyrinths, meditate with the menhirs or make contact with the nature spirits and elements in dedicated spaces.
- About 2 km (1.2 miles) from Damjl you will find Damanhur Crea, housed in a former Olivetti typewriter factory that now teems with renewed innovation. Damanhur Crea is another center of activity and community life at Damanhur. Upon entering the front doors you will see Arielvo, a favorite meeting place during the day for locals and visitors alike. One part café/bar and one part organic restaurant, it has a casual outdoor terrace where you can enjoy a delicious, healthy Italian-style lunch. Damanhur Crea also has an organic supermarket, Tentaty, where you can purchase everything from local produce grown at Damanhur’s Prima Stalla nucleo and olive oil bottled fresh at Damanhur’s olive groves in Tuscany, as well as pantry staples, gelato, wine, toiletries, music, books and perfumes. Damanhur Crea is also the “home office” for many businesses run by Damanhurians that provide an array of products and services—everything from a hair salon and day spa, jewelry and art, health services and much more. While at Damanhur Crea, don’t miss taking a stroll through Niatel, a gallery of Damanhur’s captivating Selfic art. For a complete list of businesses and services, click here.
Getting Around Greater Damanhur:
Since Damanhur is a federation of communities, its territories are spread out across the Valchiusella Valley. Damanhur nucleos (our homes) are interspersed amongst the homes of non-Damanhur residents and small businesses. Visits to specific territories around Greater Damanhur must be arranged through the Welcome Office. Currently, there are two formal visits being offered. Click here to learn more.
Due to the hilly terrain and distance, most areas outside of Damjl cannot be reached by foot. For this reason, it is ideal to have a vehicle while visiting here. If you do not have a car, you may access the central territories through our own mode of ride sharing called “synchronic rides.” Look for signage at the main gate at Damjl indicating where to stand for a synchronic ride. Simply wait in that spot and before long, someone will stop and ask, “Do you need a ride?” From Damanhur Crea, please ask in reception for help in finding a ride.
When traveling to Damanhur, a variety of accommodations are possible, including shared rooms, private guesthouses, hotels and B&Bs. If you wish to camp in the area, contact the Welcome Office for nearby available options.
Damanhur Guest Houses:
Damanhur has three comfortable guesthouses in Damjl (named Rama, Assamen and Atlan), as well as an independent B&B close to Damanhur Crea. Room sizes range from two to four beds. All bathrooms are shared. Prices range from 28 euro (shared room) to 45 euro (single room) per person, per night. Small pets are allowed in certain guest rooms for an additional fee of 5 euro per night per pet. Children age 3 or younger sleep for free as long as no additional bed is required. Please note that we cannot guarantee requests for specific rooms, as the selection of where guests are housed is based on their personal requirements and room availability.
The Abaton is a modern and comfortable grouping of five rooms strategically annexed to the Temples of Humankind and Sacred Woods Temple. The space is reminiscent of rooms in the back of the temples in ancient Greece, such as Asclepios, where patients slept and received inspired dreams. Guests at Abaton can experience both inner pilgrimage and sacred sleep. Each room is specifically prepared for lucid dreaming, inspiration and intuition. Selfic art and circuitry channel synchronic energy from the Temple halls, activating opportunities for the dreamer to connect and exchange with this energy. Individual rooms may be booked for a private retreat of your own design.
Cancellation Policy: A refund will be offered for cancellations less than 14 days after purchase. A partial credit will be offered for cancellations after 14 days. No refund or credit will be offered for cancellations made less than 5 days before the purchased activity. We recommend that you purchase travel insurance to insure you against unforeseen illness, injury, inclement weather and such. Damanhur reserves the right to cancel within 30 days from the date of purchase if the minimum number of participants is not reached, between 4 and 8 for most events. If so, you will receive a credit that can be applied to any activity of the same or lesser value.
If you have specific needs, we will be happy to help you book a room in one of the nearby 3 or 4 star hotels and B&Bs (below). For availability, contact us with your travel dates, type of preferred accommodation and number of people in your group.
Hotels in the Area:
When registering at any of these hotels, be sure to mention that you are visiting Damanhur, as they offer special rates for our guests.
Hotel Rivarolo (4 stars)
10 km (5.5 miles) from Damanhur
Corso Indipendenza, 76 – 10086 Rivarolo Canavese (TO) Italy
Tel. +39 (0)124 26097
Hotel Rivarolo is situated close to a shopping center, within walking distance from the old town, and surrounded by picturesque mountains. It has 69 rooms with double beds, and 12 suites for families or guests with such needs.
Il Principe d'Oro (3 stars)
3 km (1.8 miles) from Damanhur
Piazza Commendator Ceratto, 5 – 10080 Vidracco (TO) Italy
+39 (0)125 791125 and Mobile +39 335 – 1027000
Within walking distance of Damanhur Crea, this bed and breakfast also has a restaurant with delicious pizza and a la carte menu.
Canavese Golf and Country Club - Ristorante con Foresteria "La Buca"
5 km (3 miles) from Damanhur
Strada Piane, 4 – 10010 Torre Canavese (TO) Italy
Tel. +39 (0)124 512078
The seven rooms of this guesthouse all share a “golf theme” and pay tribute to the most famous golf courses in the world. The hotel has queen size beds in all rooms.
Hotel Ristorante I Tre Re (3 stars)
6 km (4 miles) from Damanhur
Piazza Martiri della Libertà, 27 – 10081 Castellamonte (TO) Italy
Tel. +39 (0)124 515470 or +39 0124 513918
A small, charming hotel in the old town of Castellamonte, it offers 20 beds divided into 10 elegant double rooms with bathroom. The hotel is an integral part of the Tre Re complex, which has restaurant services, a bar, pastry shop and specialty food store.
Villa Soleil (3 stars)
6 km (4 miles) from Damanhur
Via della Cartiera, 13/15 – 10010 Colleretto Giacosa (TO) Italy
Tel. +39 0125 669022
This historic 18th Century country home in the beautiful Canavese countryside offers 16 double rooms; choose from comfortable standard rooms, distinctive superior rooms and sumptuous suites. Each has its own private bathroom with shower, mini bar, telephone, air conditioning / heating unit, satellite TV, radio and wireless Internet.
B&B Vecchio Mulino di Bairo
Via Molino, 6 10010 Bairo
Torino - Italy
Tel. +39 335 6536711
An ancient mill built during the second half of the XVI century, restored by the grandchildren of the ‘last miller’ has now a new life as agritourism and location for events. Surrounded by the green countryside of Canavese, the agritourism boasts 9 elegant rooms in country style, all of them with private bathroom and sat tv.
Eating and Dining
A natural foods supermarket called Tentaty is conveniently located right in Damanhur Crea. It sells organic, ecological and GMO-free products, and offers many locally made goods from the region. Any amenities you may need during your stay can be found here—from personal items like toothpaste and perfume to staples such as coffee and fresh produce. Gluten-free items and options to suit special dietary requirements are also available. When entering Tentaty, look up to see a unique Selfica device that has been placed there to increase the vital energy of the food.
Amazingly delicious natural food is available everywhere in and around Damanhur; after all, we’re in Italy! Located within our territories are two lovely cafes, one bar and two organic restaurants.
- Somachandra Café, located in Damjl near the Welcome Office, is a relaxed atmosphere in which to enjoy a nice strong Italian coffee, breakfast or lunch.
- Arielvo, located at Damanhur Crea, is a favorite meeting place for locals and visitors alike. One part café/bar and one part organic restaurant, it has a casual outdoor terrace where you can enjoy a delicious, healthy Italian-style lunch.
- Il Tarassaco is a must-try eatery located in the Damanhur agriculture nucleo community of Prima Stalla. At this wonderful farm-to-table restaurant, the food in the menu is grown right on the farm. It is open on weekends and by reservation only.
The Welcome Office will be happy to assist you with reservations at any of these restaurants.
- For exquisite pizza and fresh authentic Italian cuisine, visit Principe D’Oro restaurant (which is also a comfy B&B) near Damanhur Crea.
- Also within a short distance from Damanhur are Fast Lunch & Pizza and Tre Re, located in Castellamonte, Villa Soleil (a hotel with an amazing restaurant), and many more.
PLEASE NOTE: Every Monday afternoon from 3 PM on, all stores and eating facilities in Damanhur (including nearby Principe d’Oro) are closed due to the community’s participation in Meditation. If you do not have a car to drive to a nearby restaurant or market, please be sure to have food for yourself for Monday afternoon and evening.
In the Area
Things to Do at Damanhur:
While here, take time to explore and enjoy the many aspects of Damanhur that make it an extraordinary community. Damanhur has many layers that are not necessarily visible to the eye. It takes time and a willingness to explore in order to uncover the gifts within the layers. Whether you want to relax and take leisurely nature walks, hike or bike the mountainous terrain, or delve in sacred and scientific mysteries, the possibilities are as endless as the imagination. Here is a sampling:
- Naturally, Damanhur’s fascinating educational programs and courses alone could easily keep you engrossed for a lifetime.
- Find out about other visit options and events.
- Walk one or more of the stone labyrinths, and contact the menhir (standing stones) on the property.
- Treat yourself to a variety of healing therapies.
- Depending on the dates of your visit, you may also wish to participate in the special ceremonies or rituals being held during the Great Rituals: Solstice and Equinox and also the full moon Rite of the Oracle.
- When available, enjoy a live theatre or musical performance by our talented choir and theatre group, such as “Anansal”, a beautiful poetic story based on Damanhurian mythology.
- View captivating artwork at Niatel Selfic Art Gallery, located in Damanhur. Feast your eyes and other senses on Selfic paintings, including an exhibit of paintings created by Falco Tarassaco and his students, which now carry on this fascinating research.
- Stop by the SelEt Selfic Laboratory to see and purchase Selfica instruments. At the exquisite jewelry boutique Orocrea, you are sure to be delighted by one-of-a-kind jewelry creations.
- Every week, open discussions take place in the community with the founders and citizens of Damanhur. Held every Thursday evening from 7:30 to 9 PM, interesting and informative sessions—called “serata”—about the latest Damanhur research being conducted are held at Damanhur Crea; visitors may attend for a small fee. Most Friday evenings at 6 PM, a free Q&A session about Damanhur takes place in Damjl. Confirmation is required since these meetings occasionally do not take place when other events are going on. To attend any of these meetings, pre-register at the Welcome Office.
- The nucleos in Damjl, including our youth nucleo, Casa Ragazzi, host various events and parties on an ongoing basis. Visitors and guests are invited to join and enjoy a taste of community life at Damanhur. Inquire at the Welcome Office and look for signs posted around Damjl for upcoming events.
Explore the Region:
Other attractions within a couple of hours of Damanhur:
- The Museum of Egyptian Antiquities (Museo delle Antichità Egizie). Located in Turin, it is the only museum other than the Cairo Museum that is dedicated solely to Egyptian art and culture. Many international scholars, since the decipherer of Egyptian hieroglyphs Jean-François Champollion, who came to Turin in 1824, spend much time pouring over the collections.
- Castle Montestrutto (Castello di Montestrutto). This Romantic Italian castle at the foot of the Alps in Ivrea is majestic with all the comfort and warmth of an old country house. Quiet and private, the castle stands on top of a hill overlooking the small village of Montestrutto and the beautiful countryside.
- Fondo waterfall. The romantic waterfall can be enjoyed in the small town of Fondo, after Traversella. To read a review, click here.
- Hiking and biking trails. At the base of the Italian Alps are many hiking and biking trails of all levels that are waiting to be conquered, each with uniquely stunning views that are worth the work to get there.
- Find other suggestions here